After some warm-up games, the children were divided into four groups and each set off to the first of their three activities, which included Team Challenge and Low Ropes, Big Swing, Caving, Climbing and Canoeing.
Highlights of the day for me consisted of:
- finding out in the team challenge that I needed two other people to balance me on the see-saw;
- getting wedged in a tunnel whilst caving;
- and nearly breaking the fan descender (twice).
I have learnt today that:
- it is important to work as a team;
- not to go in the smallest tunnels in a cave;
- it's time to go on a diet!
I consider myself very lucky though, to have spent the day with a great bunch of kids, who threw themselves into the activities (and the river) whole-heartedly.
One important note for anyone thinking of paying a visit to Thorpe Woodlands: take your lunch in a squirrel-proof bag, as otherwise you will be mugged.